Thursday 26 June 2014

High Plains Drifter (1973)



A town of repugnant human beings hire a reprehensible human being to protect them from a trio of repulsive human beings.  A cartload of people die in the process, and not a one of them doesn't leave the world a better place by no longer being in it.

The central thesis of this film appears to be that pretty much everyone in the world is a worthless piece of scum and that the only thing that elevates any of us is that we might be a bit more selective - or effective - in our brutality than the others around us.

In other words, this is 100 minutes of jerks being jerks to each other, often with fatal consequences.  I found it a thoroughly unpleasant experience.  Which may in fact have been the point, but I have real life history for that sort of thing.  I don't need it in my fiction as well.

Technically, the film is well-shot and well-acted.  But I didn't care a whit about any of the characters on the screen and would quite happily have seen an atomic bomb fall on them halfway through the movie. Not only would they have deserved it, but it would have saved me 45 minutes that I could have spent doing something more pleasant, such as repeatedly punching myself in the testicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment