Friday 9 August 2019

The Valley of Gwangi (1969)


The owners of a "Wild West Circus" discover a secret valley where prehistoric creatures still roam, and in a decision that's right out of King Kong, decide that the best thing to do is to exhibit one of the creatures to gawking crowds.  Given that the creature they choose for this purpose is a 15 foot tall Allosaur, you don't need precognitive powers to guess that this will end just as badly as it did with the big ape.

Have I spoiled the movie's plot, above?  Well, pretty much yes.  But let's be honest, this is not a movie that is sold by its plot.  This is a movie that is sold by the words "Cowboys versus Dinosaurs!" and "Ray Harryhausen".  If either of those two phrases make you feel a spike of excitement, then you are the target audience for this film.  And let me tell you, when my eight year old self first saw The Valley of Gwangi, he was slap back in the bullseye.  The thinly-defined characters and pro forma script - and it's certainly true that the film suffers from both - mattered not a jot.  Dinosaurs rampaging was more than enough to make me a fan.

I don't think I need to say any more ... I reckon I've said enough that you will already know whether or not this movie is for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment