Tuesday 8 October 2019

Bereavement (2010)



A boy named Martin has a medical condition that means he is unable to feel pain.  At the age of six, he is abducted by a serial killer, who plans to use the youngster as a kind of acolyte.

Five years later, teenager Allison Miller moves to the area - which seems to have become a whole lot more rural in the meantime - to live with her uncle after her parents die.  She's a bit of a fish out of water, though she does strike up a friendship with a young man named William.

Naturally, that serial killer is still at work in the area.  Which is frankly ridiculous given the rate at which he seems to capture and carve up women (and of course it's always women).  The sheer numbers of disappearances - especially in a lightly populated area - would surely have prompted an official response.  or at least some kind of public anxiety.

Equally naturally, Allison is inevitably going to stumble across the killer and his creepy boy sidekick, despite no-one else doing so in the intervening time.

You can probably tell from my griping above that I was not a big fan of this film.  It failed to grip me, leaving me plenty of time to pick holes in the plot-line.  I suspect that even if it had gripped me, the relentlessly mean-spirited nature of the narrative would have eventually turned me off; at least up until the point where it became so gratuitous that it became almost funny.

Mind you, it's probably that very mean-spiritedness that will be a selling point for some people: this is certainly not a typical Hollywood film in that regard.  I can't say I would recommend it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment