Tuesday 3 July 2018

The Americans, Season 5 (2017)



The Americans has always been about people living on the edge of disaster, but it's perhaps never felt more oppressive than it does in this, the penultimate season.  And I mean that in the best way: there's a palpable sense that the stresses of their lives, the failures of the past, and the fears of the future are ever more coming to bear on all the members of the cast, Soviet or American, "good" or "bad".

Or, as Sunsan Ivanova says in Babylon 5 ... "There's always a boom."

I've been singing the praises of this show for five seasons by now and I hope that my accolades for the taut writing, fantastic performance, and willingness to trust the audience have already born fruit and you've checked it out (all 30 or so of you who actually read this blog, anyway).  If not, then you can go back and read all the previous reviews I've done for the show and see all the nice things I've already said about it.

Or you can just take my word for it and go check it out right now.  I don't think you will be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment