Thursday 14 October 2021

The Neon Demon (2016)

 




I have watched plenty of bad movies since I started this blog, but I am struggling to remember ever being genuinely angry about having to review one of them.

But this pompous, pretentious, boring film has already wasted 7 million dollars, a talented cast and two hours of my time.  So I am seething a little at the thought of expending even a few minutes effort on telling you how bad it is.

So I will be brief.

The concept behind the (overlong, meandering) plot of this film can be summed up as "what if the fashion industry literally consumed the young women who enter it?".  Which might actually be a workable if obvious idea on which to base a horror film, but not when it is literally the only idea you seem to have, and you only bring it out with ten minutes of the movie left.  You could literally watch the opening five minutes of this movie and the 'swimming pool' scene right near the end and you would have the entire story and would have saved yourself a lot of time.

You would 'miss out' on the movie's many rape-y and/or objectifying moments by doing that, but frankly that sounds like a win as well, to me.

This is smug, vacuous cinematic excrement.



No comments:

Post a Comment