Friday 10 May 2019

The Goonies (1985)


In 1980s Oregon, a group of working class families face the imminent foreclosure of their homes, which will then be bull-dozed for an expansion to the local country club.  This does not exactly sit well with kids of these families, but what can they do?  It's not like they'll stumble across a treasure map in the attic and find themselves racing against a local crime mob in pursuit of the pirate booty to which it leads, after all.

Well, since this is a Steven Spielberg film, that of course is exactly what happens.

People who were in the target age when this film came out, and who saw it at that time, seem to almost universally love it.  I fit the first criteria, but not the second.  I didn't see it until my late teens, and I didn't really get what the fuss was about.  Re-watching it now ... well, I still don't.  The comedy is not especially funny, the action isn't that exciting, and there's an awful lot of screechy shouting from the young cast.  Which I blame on the script rather than the actors, bit either way it is pretty annoying.

Frankly, there are much better kids' adventure films out there.  I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming Dora film proves to be one of them, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment