Friday 8 December 2017

Power Rangers (2017)



A group of variously troubled or outcast teens stumble across an ancient spaceship, where the electronically-stored consciousness of an alien warns them that the Earth is in immediate peril of destruction.  They have 11 days to unlock the secret of the morphing field and embrace their destiny as the planet's protectors: The Power Rangers.  If they fail, everything goes boom.

I've seen a lot more films at the cinema in 2017 than in a typical year: about 20.  Many of those films have lived up to my expectations, while several have fallen short, either because they simply weren't as good as I'd hoped (Beauty and the Beast, John Wick 2) or because they were a cinematic blight that further defiled the corpse of a once great franchise (Alien: Covenant).

Only one film, on the other hand, proved to be markedly better than I expected it to be.  I freely admit that in this regard, Power Rangers had a pretty low bar to clear.  I was expecting maximum cheese and endless toy shilling.  Instead I got The Breakfast Club with robot dinosaurs and alien superpowers.  And how could I not enjoy that?

Power Rangers offers up an engaging cast, a scenario that the characters always treat as serious even when the details might be a little goofy (the villain's name is Rita Repulsa, after all), and is a genuinely fun SF action movie.  Sure, it's not going to be to all tastes, but if you're at all a science fiction fan, it's certainly a far better way to spend two hours than say Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.  I'm pleased to hear that toy sales and a strong showing on home media might be enough to justify a sequel.  I'd certainly hit the theatre again if there is one.

No comments:

Post a Comment